Monday 6 December 2010

Sushi Hiroba

I love conveyor belts. Put me in an airport and I could spend hours watching travellers' miscellany trundle about on a mile-long strip of moving rubber. So it should come as no surprise that I love sushi from a conveyor belt. Bite-sized nuggets of moving food. Pile the plates up and see how high the stack gets before you explode. 
Ikura sushi. I prefer these bulbous orange ones to the little crunchy prawn roes ones, because you get such a great oily, fishy burst of flavour out of them. 
Octopus sushi. The plates generally came with 2 or 3 pieces on each, but the Manbeast was too greedy to wait til the shot was taken. 
Edamame. My first time eating them, and I'm a convert now. I'd mistakenly thought they were peas (the kind used to make mushy peas), and since I would rather lick someone's buboes than have to eat peas, I avoided them for the longest time. Only to timidly crack a pod open to discover they were actually delicious soybeans.
Gyoza. Fine, not fantastic.
Prawn tempura, with a sliver of carrot tempura. The Manbeast timidly went for the smallest piece on the plate, only to discover it was a slice of deepfried carrot. Sucker. 
Generous slice of unagi on a tiny blob of rice - the way I like it.
Lovely, sweet, soft crab legs. Soooooo incredibly perfect. I would have kept picking up plate after plate of them all night long, if I wasn't already so full and about to fall asleep. I'm gonna hit them first the next time I'm there. 
Red bean mochi - chewy, pillowy soft and just the right amount of sweetness. I wish these were more easily available everywhere.

We also had a plate of deepfried sweet potato cakes and some chicken-y stuff in sweet red teriyaki sauce, both of which I devoured before remembering to pull my camera out. You'll have to take my word for it that they were both yummy.

50-54 Kingsway
Holborn, London
WC2B 6EP

No comments:

Post a Comment