Friday 18 September 2009

Beetroot and Onions

My parents, like many of yours, told me not to play with my food. It's a good thing I never listened to them.

How else would I have discovered that beetroot, onion skins, salt and vinegar are not just edible, but give you beautiful autumnal colours too? The skein of yarn above was dyed with two cooked beetroots, resulting in this yummy orangey-pink colour. I'm not quite sure what this yarn is made of, as I found it in a box in the op-shop.

The mercerised cotton crochet thread below was dunked into a solution of red onion skins, which gave me this warm goldy-browny tone. I love how the colour seems to impart a slight sheen to the yarn.

Unfortunately, I haven't got any photos of the process, as I wasn't sure it would work. I'll put up a tutorial if there's interest from you guys, or you could just search the interwubs for instructions.

So, girls and boys, why don't you go play with your food and let me know what happens?

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it can be fun to play with food! LOL! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    http://peebsandroo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete