Saturday 25 July 2009

Club Tropicana

Just finished these two pairs of gloves last week - one for my Mummy and one for my younger sister Tiffany. I thought I'd show them off because these are the first gloves I've knit up, and I'm pretty damned pleased with the result.

The pattern came from an old Patons booklet that I found in one of the op-shops down on Walworth Road. They asked for fingerless gloves, so I adapted the pattern by doing only four rows of k1p1 ribbing on the fingers, then casting off.

Ladies back in the day must've had tiny hands, though. I didn't have the right size needles (the pattern asked for size 14 needles - 2mm) so I used a pair of size 12s instead (2.75mm), and they still came out pretty tight. It's not like I have huge hands anyway, mine are ridiculously child-sized! I can't imagine how tiny these would've turned if I'd used the right sized needles. It's a good thing they both have small hands as well, or I'd have to frog them and knit them up again.

This one's just called 'Lace Design' in the booklet, it's basically a meshy, all-over lace design with quite a bit of stretch.

And this is the 'Diamond Lace' pattern, with 4 lace diamonds spread over the front.

I used King Cole Zig Zag sock yarn for them, and I've got about half a skein left, which I guess means I'll be able to knit up another 2 pairs of gloves?

I bought a 100gm ball of King Cole Zig Zag sock yarn and only used about half the ball for both pairs of gloves. So I guess that means I'll be able to make myself another 2 pairs of gloves from the leftovers? I really like the feel of this yarn, it's soft and springy and not too heavy at all, which is great for gloves. I might get more in another colourway, as I'm really itching to try out Eunny Jang's Endpaper Mitts pattern. We'll see...

In the meantime, more photos of the gloves can be found on my Flickr.


1 comment: